I love Indian food, I love tikka masala and I could eat this simple dish every day. Honestly.
This sweet potato and chickpea tikka masala recipe is the epitome of my cooking. It’s SUPER easy to make and it makes a filling and comforting every-day dish. And it’s so delicious too!
I’ve made many different variations of vegan tikka masala lately. Most often it’s with sweet potato, sometimes also with cauliflower, but I really wanted to share this exact recipe as it is my basic go-to version of tikka masala.
It is easy to make different variations of this recipe by just choosing different plants to use. Maybe try it using your favourite plants or what ever you have on hand but make sure to also make it following the recipe below. You won’t regret it. I like the combination of sweet potato and chickpeas, not only for the flavor but also because the chickpeas add some much needed protein to this dish which is great especially if I have it after my mid-week workouts.
So here it is, my perfect vegan tikka masala recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- Thumb size piece of ginger
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Spices: 1tsp ground cumin, 1tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp cardamom, 1tsp curry powder
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh coriander
- Naan and/or wholegrain basmati rice to serve
- (In this recipe and nutrient info I used 400g wholegrain basmati rice)
- Pre-heat an oven to 200°C
- Wash and chop the sweet potatoes to bite sized pieces (I usually leave the skin on but you can peel your potatoes too)
- Mix with 1 tbsp olive oil and 2tsp salt and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are ‘al dente’
- Put the rice to cook if using
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and ginger. Heat a pan with some olive oil and sauté for a couple of minutes before adding all the spices. Mix thoroughly and sauté for a couple more minutes
- Then add the tinned tomatoes and bring to boil
- Reduce the heat to simmer and add the coconut cream
- Finally, add the baked sweet potatoes and drained and rinsed chickpeas. Let simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes
- Finnish the dish with some chopped fresh coriander and serve with rice and/or naan