The taste of Asia in this salad comes from the tahini dressing which is absolutely divine. I use it on many different salads but it works specifically well in this salad where the portobello mushrooms have also been marinated in similar spices to what I used in the tahini dressing.
This is how you make the dressing. Simply mix a couple of table spoons of tahini with enough water to turn it in to a dressing like texture. Then add in chopped ginger, some soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. I usually freestyle with the quantities and just keep adjusting the dressing with these ingredients until I’m happy with the taste so sometimes it might be slightly more lemony and something more salty etc. But it’s always delicious.
With the mushrooms I used soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and garlic before frying them on a dry pan. They add a great ‘meaty’ texture to the salad and are really the beef of this dish.
A word of warning though, this salad takes longer to prepare just because the barley takes some more time to cook than some other grains. But if you have cooked the barley in advance then it doesn’t take more than 20 minutes to put this salad together. I definitely recommend cooking the barley in advance especially if you are planning to make this on a week night. Otherwise you might end up having your dinner around mid-night.. like we did.. oops! 🙂
This recipe makes 3-4 servings but as it is still quite light you might want to add a piece of bread with it if you are super hungry.
- • 250g barley
- • 4 portobello mushrooms
- • 250g rocket
- • 250g asparagus
- • 2 thumb sized pieces ginger
- • 3 tbsp soy sauce
- • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- • 2 tbsp tahini
- • 1 lemon
- • 1-2 spring onions
- • 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- • Salt and black pepper
- Cook the barley as instructed on pack and let cool
- Make a marinate for the mushrooms by chopping one thumb sized piece of ginger and mixing it with 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Rinse and slice the Portobello mushrooms and toss in the marinade
- Fry the mushroom slices on a frying pan (no oil needed)
- Rinse and chop the asparagus and steam until ‘al dente’
- Rinse the rocket
- Prepare a dressing by chopping 1 thumb sized piece of ginger and mixing it with the tahini, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp soy sauce, juice of 1 lemon and salt and black pepper to taste. Add water to turn the thick tahini into a dressing-like thinner texture
- Chop the spring onion
- Mix everything together and top with the sesame seeds. Enjoy.