Tonight’s dinner was this broccoli cashew caesar salad as I felt quite bad physically having eaten all sorts of sugary sweets during the day and I just wanted something light and green.
This is pretty much as green as it gets in my kitchen with raw kale and broccoli on one plate but there is a twist to it. A delicious twist called the cashew caesar dressing. I often make a big batch of this dressing at once and then use it on all sorts of salads I make. And the dressing is very easy to make. Just soak some cashews in warm water (20-30minutes) and then in a food processor mix them with mustard, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste and some water to adjust the consistency.
I also love pine nuts so I sometimes go over board with them. In this salad I used raw broccoli and kale just because I was lazy and didn’t have the time or the energy to prepare them in any other way. And also, because I actually quite like them raw. I mean, you don’t have to chew them straight from the packaging. If you massage the kale (yes, with your hands!) with some olive oil and a pinch of salt, it softens and becomes much easier to chew. I also chopped the broccoli very finely so it became almost like rice which made it easier to digest.
This salad is super healthy for sure and with the cashew caesar dressing it’s also pretty damn good!
- • 2 handfuls of Cashews
- • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- • ½ Lemon
- • 250g Kale
- • 1 tbsp Olive oil
- • 1 Broccoli head
- • 2 handfuls of Cherry tomatoes
- • 25g Pine nuts
- Salt and black pepper
- Put the cashews to soak in warm water. Ideally, they should soak for at least 30 minutes BUT if you are as inpatient as I am, then I’ve found that 20 minutes is just enough
- Rinse the kale and then tear it in small pieces. In a bowl, mix the kale with some olive oil and a pinch of salt and then massage it thoroughly using your hands. This means squeezing each kale leaf between your fingers so that it softens (and your hands will get moisturized in the process as well)
- Chop the broccoli very finely. Especially when using raw broccoli, I find chopping it almost into a rice like consistency makes it much easier to eat and digest
- Chop also the cherry tomatoes and mix the broccoli and tomatoes with the kale onion with the kale
- Make the cashew Caesar dressing by mixing the soaked cashews with Dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a food processor. You can adjust the amount of ingredients used to taste
- Finally, dry roast the pine nuts
- Serve the salad with the Caesar dressing and top with the pine nuts