Such a classic! It has taken me a good time to develop the perfect recipe for a vegan version of a creamy mushroom pasta. I’ve made multiple versions of the sauce with tofu, with pine nuts and with almond cream just to prove to myself that nothing beats a cashew cream and it doesn’t so cashew cream it is. And now the recipe is ready to be shared.
To be honest, it doesn’t get much more basic than this but don’t let the simplicity of this dish to turn you off. This is definitely our go-to comfort food. It’s so easy to make and has all the flavours and texture that you crave for on a cold winter day. The flavours might not be as multi faceted and as exciting as they are in some more advanced recipes but to us that’s actually the beauty of this dish as well. There is nothing else to it, just the delicious creamy texture and flavour which we love. We hope you will too!
- 250g tagliatelle pasta
- 250g button mushrooms
- 1 small white onion
- 2 handfuls of cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100ml unsweetened almond milk
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chives or parsley to serve
- Put cashews to soak in warm water (if you don't have more than 20-30minutes to soak the cashews then that's fine)
- Put a large pot of water to boil, add salt
- Chop onion and mushrooms and sauté on a pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper
- In a food processor blend the cashews with roughly chopped garlic cloves, ½ lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, almond milk and a pinch of salt
- Boil pasta and then drain and mix with the mushrooms and the cashew cream over low heat
- Take off the stove and finish off with chopped chives and/or parsley and rest of the lemon juice.