Hands down, this is my go to salad when I can’t think of anything else. This kale, sweet potato and chickpea salad with tahini dressing (aka a Buddha bowl) combines many of my favourite flavours and is very nourishing. You can see rough estimates of nutrients below the recipe (calculated using myfitnesspal.com).
I’ve been trying to develop a habit of cooking some vegetables and whole grains on Sunday evening. I then store them in the fridge so that they are ready to be used in different salads over the week. In this case, I had the sweet potatoes ready so I saved some time not having to peel, chop and bake them.
I always soften the kale that I use in my salads by squeezing the leaves between my hands with some olive oil and salt. It is literally like massaging the salad leaves and with the olive oil, your hands get a good moisturising in the process too. So it’s a win-win! You could use other salad bases here as well but my advice is to go dark. So if you are still not a big kale fan then maybe try spinach instead.
To me eating salad without a dressing is unheard of. And yes, I like those sugar-packed processed dressings too but I’m trying to stay away from them as much as possible and go for healthier options. This tahini dressing is super simple and has no added sugar whatsoever. It also tastes great so a big recommendation to add this to your salad dressing repertoire. Enjoy!
- • 100g kale
- • 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- • 2 sweet potatoes
- • 1 avocado
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 2 tbsp tahini
- • 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- • Spices: 3 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp paprika
- • 1 handful of pumpkin seeds
- • Water
- Pre-heat oven to 175 °C
- Rinse and peel the sweet potato and cut into bite sized pieces. Toss in 1 tbsp olive oil and a dash of salt and black pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Let cool
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Mix with 1 tsp salt, black pepper and ground cumin. You can either use them as is or roast on a dry pan for a crispier texture
- Rinse the kale and shred into bite sized pieces. Add a splash of olive oil and 1 tsp salt and massage the salad leaves between your hands to soften
- Cut the avocado into pieces
- Prepare the dressing by mixing 2 tbsp tahini with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp salt. Add water to turn the thick tahini paste into a dressing like consistency. Mix properly and adjust the seasoning to taste
- Compile the salad with kale as a base topped with the potatoes, chickpeas, avocados, salad dressing and pumpkin seeds