Holy Sunday! Speaking of the ultimate breakfast, I’m pretty sure this is it. I made this chanterelle cream sandwich for this beautiful Autumnal Sunday and it was an instant hit. Reminds me of the best of Nordic open sandwiches – the ones that are fresh, well balanced and not too creamy, which can sometimes become a bit too much.
This is a vegan recipe with a cashew cream base. The pickles really bring this dish together and balance out the creaminess of the chanterelle topping. Chanterelle is one of my favourite mushroom with a slightly nutty and sweet flavour. The golden mushroom looks pretty too.
This simple recipe makes a stunning centrepiece to your brunch table and is sure to impress your guests. Happy weekend brunching xx
Chanterelle Cream Sandwich
Author: Antidote Kitchen
- 2 handfuls of raw cashews
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 200g chanterelle
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp (vegan) butter
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Rye bread
- Put the cashews to soak in warm water for about 20 minutes.
- Chop the yellow onion and garlic clove.
- Clean and rinse the chanterelle.
- Make the cashew cream by processing the cashews in a blender with ½ lemon juice, salt, black pepper. Process until smooth adding water as required to ease blending.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add butter. Add yellow onion and garlic clove and sauté them before adding the chanterelle. Sauté for about 5-10 minutes so that the chanterelle start to soften. Season with salt, black pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the cashew cream and toss around to mix everything together.
- Add water to get the right consistency which should be thick and creamy, not too runny.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as required. Let cool before serving.
- Chop some pickles and parsley.
- To assemble the sandwich, top the bread with mushroom cream, chopped pickles and parsley. Squeeze some lemon on top and serve.