With the festive season finally behind us, it is time to get back to our normal routines… and to be honest, I couldn’t be happier! I mean, holidays are nice and all but this time it didn’t make me feel that good. At least not physically as I managed to caught a syndrome called over-eating and over-drinking..
Therefore, I decided to start the year with the best hangover cure I know. Let me introduce our vegan version of ‘Pytt i panna’, a Nordic dish similar to hash. The idea is simple, take your left-over food and fry it all up on a pan. A true one-pot wonder.
In this recipe we used potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper and red onion, all chopped into small cubes. The traditional Pyttipanna often includes left-over meat, but as we don’t have meat in our kitchen we replaced it with some BBQ marinated tofu to make a vegan pyttipanna.
It’s not fine dining BUT it is delicious. The only dilemma we had was figuring out how to photograph this delicacy without it looking like someone threw up on a plate (sorry for the mental picture here :)). It’s not the most beautiful dish in the world but luckily, we had some fresh parsley to come to saviour.
This dish is simple but requires cutting the vegetables which, depending on your knife technique, might take more or less time. In any case, I would say it comes together in a maximum of 30 minutes. This dish makes a perfect all day food. You can have it for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. And why not pack it for lunch too?
The perfect vegan hash brown. Enjoy 🙂
- • 400g Small potatoes
- • 2 medium carrots
- • 1 small red bell pepper
- • 1 small red onion
- • 250g firm tofu
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • 2-3 tbsp BBQ sauce (+ more for serving)
- • 1 tsp garlic powder
- • 1 tsp smoked paprika
- • Salt & black pepper to taste
- • Optional: Fresh parsley & Pickles
- Drain and pat dry the tofu. Cut it in small cubes and move into a mixing bowl. Add the BBQ sauce and toss around to coat. Set aside to marinade while you prepare the rest
- Rinse and peel the potatoes and carrots and then cut them in small cubes
- Cut also the red bell pepper and red onion in small pieces
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add some olive oils and first the potatoes and carrots. Sauté those for 10 minutes before adding the red bell pepper. Season the mixture with some garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt and black pepper to taste
- After another 10 minutes, add also the red onion and marinated tofu. Sauté for another 5 minutes and then take off the heat
- Serve as is OR with fresh parsley, pickles and some extra BBQ sauce