Anyone else used to serving fish fingers with chips? We are trying to change habits here and therefore, replace the chips with a green salad. This fish finger caesar salad fits the bill perfectly and, with a delicious cashew caesar dressing, this weeknight meal is (one of) our new family favourite.
In this dish you have something for everyone. I mean, fish fingers are surely one of the most liked ready meals within many families and a caesar salad is a classic. Here I’ve made the caesar dressing with cashew nuts but you could obviously make this dish using a “real” caesar dressing too. I just really like the cashew caesar dressing recipe and therefore, I’m using it here too.
So what was the topic in our kitchen tonight? Honestly, it was both Keijo and I complaining to each other how f’cking tired we are. Tired of this lockdown life, this never ending groundhog day and just generally tired. I think spending so much time at home is starting to get to the both of us. We go for a walk with Erik everyday and try to do our own runs too but it’s still a lot of time (too much!) spend indoors.
I think it’s a good idea to swap those chips to something a little bit healthier like this salad. Otherwise, I’m not sure if we’ll be able to see our toes when we finally emerge from this lockdown life.
So could someone please sort out that vaccine now? In the meantime, here’s a recipe for this fish finger caesar salad.
- 6-10 fish fingers (3-5 for each adult)
- 2 Handfuls of cashews
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ lemon juice
- Green salad of your choice
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- A splash of balsamic vinegar
- Salt, black pepper
- Put the cashews to soak in warm water
- Wash and chop the salad and slice the red onion
- Put a pan over medium heat with a splash of olive oil. Add the onion rings and cherry tomatoes (no need to chop the tomatoes). Then sauté for a few minutes and add a splash of balsamic vinegar and keep sautéing for another 5 minutes or so over medium heat (be careful not to burn the onion). Take the onion aside and then turn up the heat and give the tomatoes for a could more minutes. You want the tomatoes to soften and roast a little bit but still hold their shape. Then set aside.
- Pan fry the fish fingers as instructed on pack
- Make the caesar dressing mixing the cashews, olive oil, chopped garlic clove, dijon mustard and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. Add water little by little to get a dressing like consistency. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Mix the caesar dressing with the salad and top with onions, tomatoes and fish fingers