Here is a simple recipe to a pasta dish that I call vegan pasta Alfredo while being conscious that probably every Italian would argue that it’s not really ‘Alfredo’ if you don’t use real parmesan cheese and butter. But I would argue that it’s still a variation of the traditional dish so I’ll stick to my guns.. and to that name J
Now, if you wanted to use ‘real’ parmesan cheese in this recipe instead of a vegan alternative then that’s completely fine. The secret is really in the cashew base and the thick creaminess of the sauce. This recipe is definitely not the healthiest out there but it’s nourishment more for the soul. It’s so delicious.
To add some green stuff to this dish you could roast some veggies like I did here. The tomatoes take more time to roast (about an hour) whilst the Brussels sprouts are quicker to make. And you could use other vegetables too.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and let’s hope that the pasta gods and goddesses out there forgive us for mixing things up a bit. xx
- VEGAN PASTA ALFREDO
- • 100g cashews
- • 1 tbsp cornstarch
- • 2-3 garlic cloves
- • 5 tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (+more for serving)
- • 200ml almond milk
- • 2 tsp sea salt
- • 250g Pasta
- • Basilica to serve
- ROASTED TOMATOES
- • 150g Cherry tomatoes
- • 1 tbsp Olive oil
- • 1 tsp Thyme & 1 tsp Sea salt
- ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- • 100g Brussels sprouts
- • 1 tbsp Olive oil
- • 1 tsp Sea salt
- Put the cashews to soak in warm water for 20-30 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare the roasted veggies if you are making them
- Pre-heat oven to 160 °C
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and lay on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil, thyme and sea salt and put them to the oven to roast for 1 hour.
- Prepare also the Brussel sprouts but slicing them in half, laying on a baking sheet and sprinkling with olive oil and sea salt. The Brussels sprouts only take about 20 minutes to bake so add them to the oven after the cherry tomatoes.
- To make the Alfredo sauce, put the soaked cashews, cornstarch, garlic cloves (roughly chopped), parmesan cheese, almond milk and sea salt in a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste to adjust ingredients if required.
- Transfer the sauce in small sauce pan and put it over medium heat. Bring the sauce to shimmer whisking frequently and cook for about 5 minutes so that the sauce thickens. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more almond milk.
- Cook the pasta
- Mix the sauce with the pasta and top with roasted veggies, fresh basilica and more parmesan cheese