I made this coconut curry with okra last Sunday when I was craving for something warm and spicy after a long run. It is a great basic recipe for a curry and you can alter the vegetables based on your preferences and/or what you have available. Also, I like to use a lot of spices so if you are not sure how much heat you can tolerate, then I’d recommend adjusting the amounts to better suit your palette.
I have just recently started using more okra in my cooking as I found out that it’s rich in vitamins and minerals and I think it works especially well in different curries that I often make as mid-week meals as well. Just chop it in small pieces, fry gently on a pan with a pinch of salt and add to any curry or soup that you are making.
When making a curry, my process often follows this pattern. First, I chop everything. Then, I sauté the onion, garlic cloves and ginger on a pan and then blend them all into a smooth paste with a splash of water in a food processor. I then fry all the vegetables in the same pan and put aside. Using the same pan again, I add back the onion paste and all the spices. I sauté the paste for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes and coconut milk and adjust seasoning to taste (I often add a bit of tamari sauce at this stage). Finally, I add the vegetables into the curry and let simmer while preparing the rice.
It takes just one pan for the curry and one for the rice which is definitely my style of cooking, I hate it when there are too many pots and pans everywhere. Also, it’s simple to make and adjust based on what produce you have available and how hot or mild you want to make it. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 10-15 okra pods
- 1 courgette
- Spices: ca 1 tsp/each; ground cumin, ground coriander, curry powder, mustard powder, turmeric, chili powder, ground fenugreek (optional), salt
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can coconut milk
- 1tbsp tamari soy sauce (optional)
- A small bunch of coriander
- 250g brown rice
- Chop the white onion, garlic cloves, ginger, okra pods and courgette
- Heat up a skillet with 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add the white onion, garlic cloves and ginger and sauté for a couple of minutes until the onion turns translucent. Then move it all to a food processor with a splash of water and blend until a smooth paste forms. Leave aside to be used later
- In the same pan, gently fry the copped okra and courgette with a pinch of salt. Then move aside
- Using the same pan, add back the onion paste and all the spices. Saute for a couple of minutes
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to simmer
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required. If more salt is required, add some tamari sauce
- Let simmer while you cook the rice
- Prepare the rice as instructed on pack
- Finish off the curry with some coriander and serve with the rice