This noodle-free pad thai without meat or seafood is a fresh take on a traditional Pad Thai which can sometimes be on the heavier side.
I love using fresh vegetables and mixing them based on what is on season and available. In this recipe, I used some basic veggies that are often readily available in the Northern Hemisphere throughout the year such as cabbage, red bell pepper and carrots.
I replace the meat and seafood with the usual vegan suspect, tofu. The key here is to marinade it properly and then frying it until slightly crispy.
But the real winner in this recipe is the peanut butter sauce. It is just SO delicious. The recipe below has got the quantities that should be just enough to make this dish. Having said that, if you are anything like me and like to over-indulge with sauces, then make a bigger batch at once and store any left overs in the fridge. You won’t regret it. 😉
Eat the rainbow with this noodle-free pad thai and enjoy your colourful plate and all the fresh tastes. xx
- PAD THAI:
- 200g Firm tofu
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 small red cabbage
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Pak choi (alternatively use broccolini)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha / chili sauce
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 3 tbsp Peanut butter
- 2 tbsp Tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Water as needed to thin the consistency
- Fresh coriander
- Crushed peanuts
- Chili flakes
- Pat dry the tofu and cut in bit sized pieces. Make a marinade my mixing 1 tbsp sriracha with 1 tbsp tamari sauce. Add tofu, stir around and set aside while you prepare the pad thai sauce and vegetables
- Put all sauce ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed. Set aside.
- Rinse and chop the red bell pepper and pak choi. Rinse and slice the red cabbage and peel and slide the carrots too.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame oil and the bell pepper and red cabbage. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots and pak choi and 1 tbsp tamari sauce and stir. Sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the Pad Thai sauce you made and stir.
- Add the marinated tofu to a corner of the pan and sauté until slightly browned before properly mixing with the vegetables
- Taste and adjust flavours if needed with tamari sauce, maple syrup and lime juice. Once the vegetables have softened take off the heat.
- Top with fresh coriander, crushed peanuts and chili flakes. Serve