How to make tofu taste good? A red curry paste that I use in this recipe is my answer to that question. This curried sweet potato and tofu stir fry makes an excellent mid-week meal even if you’re not a huge fan of tofu.
Tofu is not an ingredient that I usually use in my cooking. There are two main reasons for that. First, I try to stay away from processed foods and ingredients as much as possible and tofu being a soy based product also has some controversy around it (just google it if you want to find out more). Second, I don’t really like the taste of tofu.
Now, I wanted to publish this recipe because I think that the quick red curry paste that I used here makes the tofu taste quite good. So that’s my answer to how to make tofu taste good. Also, tofu is a great source of plant-based protein and I don’t think it will do any harm in moderation so this recipe makes a great and quick meal that you can have as a post-workout fuel or when you just don’t have time for anything else.
- 1 sweet potato
- 200g firm tofu
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chili
- Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 lime juice
- 1 stalk green onion
- Small bunch of fresh coriander
- 150g brown rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Start by putting the brown rice to boil as this will take 20-30 minutes. Use a vegetable stock cube for added flavour if desired
- Make the red curry paste by first deseeding the chili and chopping it together with the garlic cloves and fresh ginger. Put into a food processor and blend until fine (you can also use a mortar to do this). Then add the coriander, cumin, tomato puree, tamari sauce and lime juice into the mixture and blend in the food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust spices if required
- Rinse and peel the sweet potato. Then chop into bite sized pieces
- Peel and chop also the shallot
- Heat up a pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add sweet potatoes and sauté for about 10 minutes before adding the other ingredients
- In the meantime, pat dry the tofu with paper towels and then cut in bite sized pieces
- When the sweet potato has softened, add the shallot and the tofu and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the red curry paste, toss around to combine all and sauté for additional few minutes
- Serve the sweet potato and tofu stir fry with the brown rice and top with some green onion and fresh coriander