I love fries! Love love love them. I’m the kind of person who goes to a burger joint just to have fries and the ultimate Canadian treat Poutine is high on my list of favourite meals. This recipe is fries with a tex-mex twist. Fries covered with fajita seasoning mix and topped with a rich cheddar dipping sauce. Just add you favourite taco/tortilla fillings like tomato salsa and avocado and you got yourself tex mex street fries. The perfect Friday treat!
You might think that fajita spice mixes and some Mexican inspiration would make me think of South America but here’s something I realised when visiting Finland after a long break. Go to any big supermarket in Finland and you will find a whole wall dedicated to tortilla wraps, taco shells and all kinds of tortilla sauces and seasoning. It’s not something I’ve seen here in the UK and I never realised this massive foothold Mexican food has in Finnish grocery stores. Hence, this recipe is specifically for my tortilla loving Finnish friends 🙂
The only part of this recipe that requires some cooking is the cheese sauce. My Finnish friends can probably find a cheesy dipping sauce from the massive Mexican food section in their local store but it’s also easy enough to make from scratch. Just mix butter and flour (which in French cooking would be called a “roux”) and add milk, cheese and seasoning. And if there is anything that I love more than fries, it’s sauces.
In brief this dish is really all about the well seasoned fries and delicious cheese sauce. All the other toppings are completely up to you. Just use your favourite tortilla fillings to make your perfect tex mex street fries.
After another long week of lockdown, I’m just going to stuff my face with these cheesy fries. And I also highly recommend you do too. Enjoy!
- 300g Fries
- ½ bag (ca 15g) of Taco/Fajita seasoning mix
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 100-150ml milk (I used oat milk)
- 100g cheddar cheese (chopped in small cubes or alternatively, you could probably use shredded cheese as well)
- Salt and smoked paprika
- Optional toppings:
- Tomato salsa: Cherry tomatoes, red onion, lime, sugar and salt.
- Guacamole: Avocado, lime, coriander
- Oven bake the fries as instructed.
- One baked and crisp, mix with the fajita seasoning mix in a separate bowl. Make sure to coat all the fries with the seasoning mix.
- To make the cheese sauce, add the butter and flour to a small sauce pan. Over medium heat, whisk the butter and flour together until they become foamy and start to bubble. Cook and mix for about 1 minute before adding the milk. Add the milk whisking vigorously to avoid any lumps in the sauce. Add first 100ml of the milk and bring the sauce to simmer. The sauce will thicken when it reaches simmer and if it become too thick you can add more milk. Once you have a creamy sauce, turn off the heat and stir in the cheddar cubes one handful at a time. When all the cheese is melted into the sauce, season with salt and smoked paprika to taste.
- To make a simple tomato salsa, just chop the cherry tomatoes and red onion and mix with lime, sugar and salt to taste (sugar is great with tomatoes to enhance the natural sweetness of tomatoes).
- For this guacamole, I just smashed avocados and mixed in some lime juice and chopped coriander with a pinch of salt.