Who said burritos were only for Friday night fiestas? Not at ours. We love burritos and therefore, have developed a delicious vegan breakfast burrito too.
Our vegan breakfast burrito has four basic fillings; veggie bake, chickpea scramble, guacamole and tomato salsa. For the veggie bake you can use any left-over veggies from the night before. We like potatoes and red bell peppers in our burritos and simply cut them in small pieces and bake them in an oven drizzled with olive oil, salt and black pepper.
Chickpea scramble is simply just chickpeas mashes with the back of a spoon or a fork and then mixed with a little bit of almond milk and desired spices. For a breakfast, I like to keep the spices quite mild and usually only use salt and black pepper and a pinch of smoked paprika.
An easy tomato salsa is tomatoes mixed with red onion, olive oil, lime and salt. I also love sweet corn which makes a regular appearance in my salsa recipes but it is obviously not required. You can also add a pinch of sugar in the salsa to bring out the flavours even more.
Finally, when it comes to avocado, you can either chop it or mash it. Add a pinch of salt and lime juice and that’s what I call guacamole (Although, I wonder if just mashing avocados actually makes it officially a guacamole…Oh well, in my kitchen it does J ).
So go ahead and have yourself a morning fiesta with these simple burritos. It guarantees a good start to any day. xx
- • 4-6 tortilla wraps
- • 100g mini potatoes
- • 1 red bell pepper
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- • 50ml almond milk
- • 2 ripe avocados
- • 1 lime
- • 100g cherry tomatoes
- • ½ red onion
- • 50-100g sweet corn
- • Salt & black pepper
- • 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- • 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Pre-heat an oven to 200C
- Rinse, peel and chop the potatoes and chop also the red bell pepper. Lay the veggies on an oven proof dish and drizzle with some olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until soft
- In the meantime, prepare the rest of the fillings. For the salsa, chop the cherry tomatoes and red onion and mix them together. Add in sweet corn too if using. Add a splash of olive oil, ½ lime juice and a pinch of salt and sugar (optional). Mix all together and adjust seasoning to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mash the avocados and mix in the other ½ lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- To make the chickpea scramble, drain the chickpeas and put in a mixing bowl. With the back of a spoon or a fork mash the chickpeas leaving some whole for some texture. Add a little bit of almond milk, salt, black pepper and smoked paprika (optional) and mix.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add a splash of olive oil and the chickpea scramble. Fry for a couple of minutes and then set aside.
- Once the veggies have baked, compile the burritos by filling in a tortilla wrap with the veggies, chickpea scramble, salsa and guacamole. Enjoy!