This humble looking bake is our take on the traditional Greek dish. Let me introduce Vegan Moussaka.
Made with aubergine slices and green lentils, it is a hearty bake perfect for weekend dinners at home. You can obviously make this any day of the week but at ours, this is definitely one of those dishes that only happen on the weekends due to the time required to make it. It doesn’t take more than an hour though but you know those week nights when you drag yourself home after a long day at work and you only have energy to combine ingredients, not cook? Yep, there is a difference there! Most of our ‘recipes’ actually cater for combining ingredients rather than cooking but not this one. This is an actual bake which means you will have to chop, fry, cook and layer ingredients, and then finally bake the whole thing.
But when you have the time, it’s definitely an hour well spend. And to be honest, the last 30 minutes is for the moussaka to cook so it’s only 30 minutes of active cooking and 30 minutes waiting for the dish to bake (yes, yes, you can do all sorts of useful things while the dish is in the oven.. or you can pour yourself a glass of wine and relax 😉 ).
Anyways, another delicious, hearty dish for you to enjoy! I hope you enjoy this as much as we do xx
- 1kg aubergine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g green lentils
- 1x400g can plum/chopped tomatoes
- 50g sundried tomatoes
- 50g olives
- 1 large white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- Handful of Sultanas
- 300ml almond milk
- 50g breadcrumbs
- ½ Nut meg
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Chop also the olives and sundried tomatoes.
- Cut the aubergine in slices. Heat up a pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Fry the aubergine slices in batches until they turn golden brown. Place the fried aubergines on a kitchen towel to drain.
- Cook the lentils as instructed on the pack.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and fry the finely chopped onions and garlic for few minutes until soft. Add the canned and sundried tomatoes, sultanas and olives and bring to boil before adding the lentils in the mix.
- Add the cooked lentils and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, heat the almond milk. Then add the breadcrumbs, half grated nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer for 5 minutes to thicken into a sauce like consistency. Add some more breadcrumbs if needed to further thicken the sauce.
- Layer the ingredients in an oven proof dish. Start with some sauce on the base and then add a layer of aubergine slices and then a layer of lentil mix on top of that. Repeat layering and cover the final layer with the sauce.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 mins until golden on top.