A new lunch box favourite is here! Get ready to put your work colleagues to shame with this quinoa, sweet potato and apple salad.
It’s actually a very filling salad so you won’t be left hungry even if your colleagues see you as the new health goddess in the office. It is so easy to pack in a lunch box as it actually doesn’t contain too many salad leaves which can sometimes get a bit slimy when packed for lunch. So it’s basically a salad without salad leaves, how about that?
I find quinoa a great ingredient to use in salads as it’s rich in protein, has a great texture and makes any salad more filling. In this so called salad though, it’s the whole combination of quinoa, sweet potato and hazelnuts that make sure you’re not left feeling hungry, that for sure!
Using fruit in salads is something that I know not everyone agrees with but it works in this salad as it adds some acidity to it. I’m usually way too lazy to peel my apples and I also like to keep the skin on to make sure I get all the healthy stuff but you can of course remove the skin if you’d like a softer texture for your salad.
Now go and enjoy your salad, you wellness warrior!
- 150g Quinoa
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 Apple
- A bunch of parsley
- 50g Hazelnuts
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Spices: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp rosemary, salt, black pepper
- Prepare the quinoa as instructed on pack in vegetable stock. Let cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 175 °C
- Rinse the sweet potato and chop in small cubes (I like to leave the skin on but you can also peel the potato). Toss with a splash of olive oil, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp rosemary and a pinch of salt. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft and let cool.
- Roast the hazelnuts on a dry pan over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until golden
- Chop the apple into small cubes
- Finely chop the parsley
- Mix the cooled quinoa together with the sweet potatoes, parsley and apple. Top with the hazelnuts and sprinkle with some olive oil